Three dead foxes have been reported in the Grand Valley within the last 6 weeks, all looking like they just dropped dead in their tracks, without overt injuries or bleeding. Two have been reported to the Colorado Department of Wildlife.
The first one was spotted August 1 on the south side of the Grand Valley Canal just east of 26 Road.
A second dead fox was spotted August 28 in the vacant lots behind Crossroads Blvd., also near the Grand Valley Canal:
A third was photographed at an unknown location. The photo was taken by a Grand Valley resident. It was sent to a friend who lives out of state, who then sent it to me, after I posted photos of the first two foxes on Facebook. An autopsy was reportedly done on the third dead fox, which revealed that it had died from a balloon lodged in its digestive tract:
Don’t release balloons into the sky
Balloon releases at parties and celebrations are catastrophic for wildlife and the environment, as you can see from the photo above. Animals confuse the brightly-colored material with food, ingest it and die. The balloons also get stuck in trees, power lines, bodies of water and waterways, where they can clog pipes and kill marine life.
Just say “no” to balloon releases as a form of celebration.