Colorado Mesa University President John Marshall attended President Biden’s 2023 State of the Union speech in Washington, D.C. on February 7 at the invitation of far right wing extremist House Rep. Lauren Boebert, who spread lies about the 2020 election and supported the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.
Boebert helped whip the insurrectionist mob into a frenzy as a featured speaker at the “Stop the Steal” rally on January 6, 2021, when Trump supporters attacked the U.S. Capitol in an attempt to keep the former president in power by blocking Congress from counting electoral college votes and formalizing Joe Biden’s victory. Boebert also was among the 147 elected officials who voted to undermine democracy by overturning the election. A House Select Committee spent a year investigating the events surrounding Jan. 6 and found it was the result of a seven-part plan by Trump to overturn the election:
The Jan. 6 Committee found:
- “President Trump engaged in a massive effort to spread false and fraudulent information to the American public claiming the 2020 election was stolen from him.
- President Trump corruptly planned to replace the Acting Attorney General, so that the Department of Justice would support his fake election claims.
- President Trump corruptly pressured Vice President Pence to refuse to count certified electoral votes in violation of the US Constitution and the law.
- President Trump corruptly pressured state election officials, and state legislators, to change election results.
- President Trump’s legal team and other Trump associates instructed Republicans in multiple states to create false electoral slates and transmit those slates to Congress and the National Archives.
- President Trump summoned and assembled a violent mob in Washington and directed them to march on the US Capitol.
- As the violence was underway, President Trump ignored multiple pleas for assistance and failed to take immediate action to stop the violence and instruct his supporters to leave the Capitol.”
Boebert supported overturning the election and spread lies about the election on Twitter:
It is not surprising Marshall would agree to be seen with Boebert despite her efforts to subvert American democracy. Marshall has a history as a right wing partisan who has openly shown disdain towards people of other political persuasions. In the August 21, 2006 Denver Post, Marshall publicly disparaged left wing Coloradans, calling them “pampered, bed-wetting liberals,” and adding “No one cares what they say about anything.”